Thursday 19 November 2015

Over The Line Book Study - Session 1


Session 1 - Introduction to 'Over the Line' by Tom Palmer

Task 1
During session 1, we analysed the book cover to see what clues this gave us about what the book would be about.
Here are some off their thoughts...







Task 2

Then, moving on to read the blurb and the section on page 133 "About Over the Line," we made our informed predictions about what the book may be about. 


Kieran Liptrot
It is an accurate story about Jack Cock playing for England and scoring England's first ever goal after WW1. Everyone else will call him a coward because other men were fighting and he was playing football.

Reanna Barwise
The author wanted the book to be accurate because its a true story. The story is about Jack Cock, his dream of being a footballer but instead having to join the army. 

Luke Gibson
I think it is about Jack's life because he fought in the war. It is based on a true story. 

Joe Jones
I think Jack will like playing football but he may have to join the army. The he will regret it.

Regan Bamber
I think in the story, they're going to play football in the trenches. Jack is going to teach them and tell us how he scores.

Thomas Palmer
I think that Jack will start off as a footballer and then be moved to a new job protecting his country from the Germans in World War 1.

Joe Jones
I think Jack will like playing football but will have to join the army. 

Nicole Birchall
I think this book will be about soldiers fighting in world war 1 and Jack playing football.

Cerys Jones
I think this book will be about the 1st world war and what happened. It will be about Jack's life and his first England goal.

Corey Leadbetter
He was a professional footy player. Jack was a real person who I think goes to fight in the trenches but his dream is to play for his country. 

Thomas Dean
I think it will be about World War 1 and about Jack Cock. It will be about scoring his first ever international goal for England after the war. 


Task 3

We considered the introduction to the novel and what our personal response would be.


Kieran Liptrot
When I grow up, I want to be a footballer because I play for Wigan Athletic now so I want to be a footballer and I'm good at it. 

Reanna Barwise
When I grow up, I would like to be an actress or a midwife because I like to act but all of my family were midwives at one point. 

Luke Gibson
When I grow up, I want to be a gamer because my brother is doing it and I am never off my PS3, Ipad and Iphone.  

Joe Jones
I want to own an exotic pet shop because I have always loved animals like macaws (parrots), snakes and reptiles.

Regan Bamber
I would like to be a footballer manager because I could help the players get better and I have the skills. 

Thomas Palmer
When I grow up, I would like to be a journalist because you will find out more about the world's mysteries and stories. Also, I would like to be a YouTuber because I would see and meet amazing people. 

Joe Jones
I think Jack will like playing football but will have to join the army. 

Nicole Birchall
I would like to be a hairdresser because it is a well paid job and I like playing with people's hair. 

Cerys Jones
I would like to be a police woman because it would be a good job and you are helping the world to be safe. 

Corey Leadbetter
I want to be a golfer or a football player because you would be rich, famous and popular. 

Thomas Dean
I would like to be a professional rugby player because I like playing rugby. 

Joey James
When I grow up, I want to be a football player because you get lots of money. I want to play for my country. 



To finish, we read chapter one.
You can listen to Tom Palmer (THE Tom Plamer not ours!) here...












No comments:

Post a Comment