Wednesday 2 December 2015

"I Have a Dream"

A Modern "I Have a Dream" Speech

Following the the news of the Paris attacks, Mrs. Armstrong's Year 9 class began to look at 'Peace' and what this meant to them. 

They studied the inspirational speech "I Have a Dream" by Martin Luther King and then, together, wrote their own, modern-day 'I Have a Dream' speech. 

Jasmine Taylor & Emily Joseph-Hughes

I have a dream that only explosions in the sky will be dazzling bursts of colour; not blinding acts of hatred.

I have a dream that the streets will be filled with fun, laughter and joy; not abandoned. gloomy and filled with fear.

I have a dream that flowers will bring romance and happiness and unite us. Not to bring heartbreak, loneliness and a memory of a sinister conflict. 

I have a dream that the future will be full of love not hatred. I have a dream, that together, we can achieve. Together. 

Jack Rimmer & Sam Nolan

I have a dream, that one day, people will be buying flowers for birthdays and to spoil loved ones, not to put on graves of those whose lives were stolen by terrorists.

I have a dream, that one day, world structures will not need to be guarded, but will be open to visit. I have a dream, that people will be able to see them with no fear of getting slaughtered but with joy and happiness.

I have a dream, that peoples vision will be dazzled by spectacular sights of fireworks and not clouded by the choking smoke of a nightmarish bomb.

I have a dream, that people will be able to sit in restaurants with no fear of being shot. I have a dream that families will not fear to take their children out to cafes with no stress of them being killed or their children being brutally attacked.

I have a way out of this nightmarish hell.

Callum Peel

I have a dream.

A dream where the violence and cause of the bombs is replaced by the dazzling sights of fireworks.

I have a dream the tranquil streets will be once more; the bombs and hate detonated. 

I have a dream that the terrifying bullet holes will be covered by the calm streets of Paris.

I have a dream there are:
no bombs
no war
no hate
only peace.

Charlotte Fawcett & Courtney Birchall

May we find peace with these gunpowder beasts, rather than find ourselves in war at their comeuppance. 

I have a dream where the lives and hope last today will contribute to the serenity and truce of tomorrow. This is the truth.

I have a dream where guns and bullets that we fear, will forever change into the flowers and petals we can share, for this is the truth.

I have a dream where peace and freedom go hand in hand, free from chaos and chains of battle. This is the truth.

To quote a great, young role model for the world: "I am not someone pretending to be someone else." This speaks the truth; my truth, that I am here, addressing you myself, someone who truly believes in change. Change for the better. Change for the future. 
This is the truth.

Amy Allcroft & Rebecca Clayton

Everyone deserves freedom. Freedom to be happy. Freedom to live their lives. Each and every baby born into this world should have a good future; a future worth while. Their families shouldn't have to worry about the world that will be theirs to grow up in. How would you feel if your child had to grow up in a world of conflict and hatred? They should be brought up knowing that they will be happy, making other people feel the same way. 

Unfortunately, this isn't the way things are.

Imagine you are standing in a crowded concert hall, listening to your favourite band. You hear an explosion and assume that joyful fireworks are bursting into the cold November air. Screams suggest that you are wrong. Your hometown, Paris, has been attacked. Lively bars became isolated in the sound of a gunshot. Happiness turned to sadness. Joy turned to fear.

I have a dream.
I have a dream that on the streets of Paris, young people will be free. I have a dream that in the green hills of the countryside, children will play together in the meadows without being afraid of war.
Hate will be abolished and love will fill the air.

I have a dream today.


No comments:

Post a Comment